An audio message said to have been recorded by the al-Qaeda leader says the abduction was retaliation for “France’s injustice to Muslims”.
It says forthcoming French curbs on the full veil are “colonial oppression”.
Filed under: media, Political developments |
- If you're a scholar, and you find some of your work featured on the blog, then chances are that we want it for our journal.
- Genocide and assimlation: Nichols, Bradley Jared, The Hunt for Lost Blood: Nazi Germanization Policy in Occupied Europe’, PhD Dissertation, University of Tennessee, 2016
- Racialisation is a company matter: Michael Hughes, ‘Within the Grasp of Company Law: Land, Legitimacy, and the Racialization of the Métis, 1815–1821’, Ethnohistory, 63, 3, 2016, pp. 519-540
- You cannot ‘repatriate’ a settler constitution: Madeline Rose Knickerbocker, Sarah Nickel, ‘Negotiating Sovereignty: Aboriginal Perspectives on a Settler-Colonial Constitution, 1975-1983’, BC Studies, 190, 2016
- Is settler colonialism racist? Nadera Shalhoub-Kevorkian, ‘At the limits of the human: reading Postraciality from Palestine’, Ethnic and Racial Studies, 2016
- Introducing a special issue on indigenous peoples and tourism: Anna Carr, Lisa Ruhanen, Michelle Whitford, ‘Indigenous peoples and tourism: the challenges and opportunities for sustainable tourism’, Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 2016
- Settler colonialism is indigenous incarceration: Stephanie Lumsden, ‘Reproductive Justice, Sovereignty, and Incarceration: Prison Abolition Politics and California Indians’, American Indian Culture and Research Journal, 40, 1, 2016, pp. 33-46
- On genocide and settler colonialism: Walter L. Hixson, ‘Policing the Past: Indian Removal and Genocide Studies’, Western Historical Quarterly, 2016
- Islamophobia and settler colonialism: Heather Porter Abu Deiab, Islamophobia’s Transnational and Settler Colonial Realities: Gaps Within Ethnic Studies Narratives, PhD Dissertation, San Francisco State University, 2016
- Settler colonialism must be represented: Madalena Santos, ‘Palestinian narratives of resistance: The Freedom Theatre’s challenge to Israeli settler colonization’, Settler Colonial Studies, 2016
- Settler manhood must be displayed: Melisssa Bellanta, ‘”Poor Gordon”: What the Australian Cult of Adam Lindsay Gordon Tells Us About Turn-of-the-Twentieth-Century Masculine Sentimentality’, Gender & History, 28, 2, 2016, pp. 401–421
- How indigenous are indigenous youth: Audreylee Hudson, Decolonizing Indigenous Youth Studies: Photography and Hip Hop as Sites of Resilience, PhD Dissertation, University of Toronto, 2016
- ‘They are the 1%’: Ann Curthoys, ‘The impossibility of section 70 aboriginal protection, amelioration, and the contradictions of humanitarian governance’, Studies in Western Australian History, 30, 2016, pp. 13-28
- On the settler colonial present (recognition as justification): Duncan Ivison, ‘Justification, not recognition’, Indigenous Law Bulletin, 8, 24, 2016, pp. 12-18
- On the settler colonial present (white supremacists on ‘public land’): Carolyn Gallaher, ‘Placing the Militia Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Harney County, Oregon’, ACME: An International Journal for Critical Geographies, 15, 2, 2016, pp. 293-308
- Development, equality and settler colonialism: Hanae Tsukada, ‘Developer’s Story 3: Don’t Aboriginal peoples want equality? What is it that they want then?’ Time and Place at UBC: Our Histories and Relations, 2016