An audio message said to have been recorded by the al-Qaeda leader says the abduction was retaliation for “France’s injustice to Muslims”.
It says forthcoming French curbs on the full veil are “colonial oppression”.
Filed under: media, Political developments |
- If you're a scholar, and you find some of your work featured on the blog, then chances are that we want it for our journal.
- On settler colonialism and geography: Magid Shihade, ‘The place of Israel in Asia: settler colonialism, mobility, memory, and identity among Palestinians in Israel’, Settler Colonial Studies, 2015
- Imagining indigenous disappearance durimng the global ‘settler revolution': Sarah Thomas, ‘Allegorizing extinction: Humboldt, Darwin and the valedictory image’, in Fae Brauer, Serena Keshavjee (eds), Picturing Evolution and Extinction, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2015
- Looking at a settler society from another: Elizabeth Rechniewski, ‘The Perils of Proximity: The Geopolitical Underpinnings of Australian Views Of New Caledonia In The Nineteenth Century’, Portal, 12, 1, 2015,
- On the prospected closure of remote indigenous communities in Australia: Ruth DeSouza, ‘The closure of remote Aboriginal communities: What is the role of nurses in Indigenous disadvantage?’, 2015
- On indigenous voting: Jean Schroedel, Ryan Hart, ‘Vote Dilution and Suppression in Indian Country’, Studies in American Political Development, 29, 1, 2015, pp. 40-67
- Researching indigenous peoples and sovereignty: Vigdis Stordahl, Grete Tørres, Snefrid Møllersen, Inger-Marit Eira-Åhren, ‘Ethical guidelines for Sami research: the issue that disappeared from the Norwegian Sami Parliament’s agenda?’, International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 74, 2015
- An instant classic on settler colonialism as a global formation that shapes the present: Mahmood Mamdani, ‘Settler Colonialism: Then and Now’, Critical Inquiry, 41, 3, 2015, pp.
- Patrick Wolfe’s new books
- On indigenous dilemmas: Kyle T. Mays, ‘Can We Live – And Be Modern?: Decolonization, Indigenous Modernity, and Hip Hop, Decolonization: Indigeneity, Education & Society, 2015
- On the settlers of Kenya: Brett L. Shadle, The souls of white folk: White settlers in Kenya, 1900s–1920s, Manchester University Press, 2015
- On the transnational circulation of settler colonial imaginings: Patrick Bernhard, ‘Hitler’s Africa in the East: Italian Colonialism as a Model for German Planning in Eastern Europe’, Journal of Contemporary History, 2015
- On settler worlds: Zoë Laidlaw, Alan Lester (eds), Indigenous Communities and Settler Colonialism Land Holding, Loss and Survival in an Interconnected World, Palgrave Macmillan, 2015
- Climate improvement and settler colonialism: Harri Olavi Siiskonen, ‘The Concept of Climate Improvement: Colonialism and Environment in German South West Africa’, Environment and History, 21, 2, 2015, pp. 281-302
- On settler colonial icons: C. S. Monaco, ‘Red Devil or Tragic Hero?: Osceola as Settler-Colonial Icon’, The American Indian Quarterly, 39, 2, 2015, pp. 180-212
- On French settler imaginings (and practices): Margaret Cook Andersen, Regeneration Through Empire: French Pronatalists and Colonial Settlement in the Third Republic, University of Nebraska Press, 2015